Are you curious about Fios Cable Card costs? Let’s dive into the details. A Fios Cable Card is a device that allows you to access Verizon Fios TV services on compatible televisions without the need for a set-top box.
Fios Cable Card costs typically involve a monthly fee of $4.99 for existing customers, while new or changed customers may face a higher rate, like $10/month, plus installation fees, taxes, and regulatory charges, which vary by location.
Keep reading to explore the cost breakdown and learn how to make the most informed decision for your entertainment needs.
Fios Cable Card Cost Breakdown
Let’s take a closer look at the different expenses you’ll encounter when opting for a Fios Cable Card.
- Card purchase or rental fee. For existing customers, the rental fee is typically $4.99 per month. New or changed customers who aren’t grandfathered in may be charged $10/month.
- Installation fees, if any. Verizon Fios may charge a one-time installation fee, which ranges from $40 to $99, depending on the location and the technician’s time required for the setup.
- Subscription fees. Fios TV subscription fees depend on the package you choose. According to Cabletv.com, plans start at $75 per month for the “Your Fios TV” package with 125+ channels and go up to $119 per month for “The Most Fios TV” package with 425+ basic and premium cable channels.
- Additional fees for multi-room setups. For each additional Cable Card required in a multi-room setup, you must pay the rental fee of $4.99 per month for existing customers or $10/per month for new customers.
- Taxes and regulatory fees. These fees vary based on your location and the specific regulations in your area. For example, you may be subject to state and local taxes, as well as a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) fee.
- Potential fees for replacing damaged or lost cards. If you need to replace a damaged or lost CableCARD, Verizon Fios may charge a replacement fee. The exact fee may vary, but it can range from $50 to $100.
Understanding how Fios Cable Card costs stack up against other providers and alternatives can help you make the best choice for your needs.
Fios Cable Card costs vs. other providers’ cards
- Comcast Xfinity: Comcast Xfinity’s Cable Card rental fee is approximately $5.00 per month. Similar to Fios, new customers or those with changes to their account may experience varying rental fees. Installation fees, taxes, and regulatory charges may also apply based on location.
- Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable): Spectrum charges around $2.00 per month for a Cable Card rental. Additional fees, such as installation, taxes, and regulatory fees, can vary by location.
The cost of bandwidth for ISPs may also influence the pricing of TV packages.
Fios Cable Card costs vs. Fios set-top box fees
- Fios Cable Card: As mentioned earlier, the rental fee for a Fios Cable Card is typically $4.99 per month for existing customers and $10 per month for new or changed customers. Additional costs may include installation fees, taxes, and regulatory charges, which vary based on your location.
- Fios Set-Top Box: Verizon Fios set-top box rental fees start at $12 per month for a standard box and can go up to $20 per month for a DVR box capable of recording multiple shows simultaneously. These fees are separate from any Fios TV subscription fees, and additional charges, such as taxes and regulatory fees, may also apply.
Cost Saving Tips
Promotions and discounts for Fios Cable Card
To save on Fios Cable Card costs, keep an eye on Verizon Fios promotions. They occasionally offer discounts for new customers, which could lower your Cable Card rental fees. Regularly checking their website or contacting customer service for the latest offers is a good way to stay informed.
Another strategy to lower the cost is to negotiate with customer support. While not guaranteed, this approach has worked for some customers, particularly if you’re an existing customer or considering a switch to Fios.
Bundling options with other Fios services
Bundling options can also help you save money on Fios CableCARD costs. Verizon Fios offers packages like the Fios Triple Play bundle, which combines TV, internet, and phone services.
These bundles can be more affordable compared to purchasing the services separately, and depending on the specific bundle and promotions, you might receive discounts on equipment fees, including Cable Card rentals.
Customized bundling is another option, as Verizon Fios allows you to build your own bundle and choose the services and features that best fit your needs. By combining your Cable Card rental with internet or phone services, you may be eligible for discounts or promotional offers.
To maximize savings, it’s essential to regularly monitor promotions and discounts, and consider bundling your Fios Cable Card with other Fios services.
Also, don’t hesitate to negotiate with customer support to see if they can offer you a better deal.
How can I obtain a Fios CableCARD?
To obtain a Fios CableCARD, contact Verizon Fios customer service or visit a local Verizon store. They will provide you with the necessary information and guide you through the process.
How do you activate a CableCARD?
To activate a CableCARD, insert it into your device and then call Verizon Fios customer support. They will assist you with the activation process and ensure your CableCARD is properly set up.
Can I buy a Verizon cable box instead of renting one?
No, you cannot buy a Verizon cable box outright. You must rent it on a monthly basis. Verizon Fios offers set-top box rentals, with fees starting at $12 per month for a standard box.
What is the most affordable Fios package?
The most affordable Fios package is the “Your Fios TV” plan, which starts at $75 per month. This package includes 125+ channels and allows you to customize your channel lineup.